ISDR is a clinical trial to study Individualised risk-based Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy (ISDR) funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR). My role, responsibilities and involvement on this study is documented in the various sections of this page.
ISDR Study group
This is a list of papers and manuscripts that were published on behalf of the ISDR study group which I was a member.
-  Individualised variable-interval risk-based screening for sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy: the Liverpool Risk Calculation Engine. [pdf] [Electronic Supplementary Material]
-  Detecting Sight Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy in the 21st Century – Lessons from 20 Years of Screening in Liverpool. Simon Harding. Co-authors: Amu Wang, Christopher Cheyne, Deborah Broadbent, Marta Garcia Finana, Ayesh Alshukri, Irene Stratton. Macula Society, Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, Wednesday 7th June. SESSION VII Diabetic Retinopathy.
-  Individualised screening for diabetic retinopathy: the ISDR study--rationale, design and methodology for a randomised controlled trial comparing annual and individualised risk-based variable-interval screening. Broadbent DM, Sampson CJ, Wang A, et al. BMJ Open https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/9/6/e025788.full
-  Individualised Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy: the ISDR study. A Randomised Controlled Trial of Safety, Efficacy and Cost Effectiveness. Broadbent DM et al. (Poster presentation)
-  Safety and cost-effectiveness of individualised screening for diabetic retinopathy: the ISDR open-label, equivalence RCT. Broadbent DM et al. Diabetologia. https://link.springer.com/epdf/10.1007/s00125-020-05313-2
Below is a list of studies and research projects that I supported during the ISDR.
|Univerity of Liverpool||PhD student||Ophthalmic Imaging||Deep learning for DR|
|Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (RLBUHT)||Clinical lecturer||HbA1c|
|Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (RLBUHT)||Ophthalmology trainee||High Prevalence and Incidence of AMD in Persons Attending DR Screening|
|Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (RLBUHT)||RS3 MB ChB student||ISDR DNA -BMI|
|Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (RLBUHT)||RS3 MB ChB student||ISDR DNA -visual acuity|
|Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (RLBUHT)||MRes student||Diabetic Neuropathy||Foot screening data project|
|University of Liverpool||MRes student||Diabetic Neuropathy||Characterising Microvascular Complications of Diabetes in Liverpool|
|University of Liverpool||Post-Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA)||Ophthalmic Imaging||Automated diabetic retinopathy image assessment|
|University of Liverpool||Post-Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA)||Ophthalmic Imaging||Long Short-term Memory in DR Screening|
|University of Liverpool||Post-Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA)||Diabetic Neuropathy||Liverpool CCG Neuropathy project|
|The Office of Health Economics/ University of Nottingham||Post-Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA)||Health Economics|
|University of Nottingham||Senior Health Economist||Health Economics||ISDR Workstream D: Health Economics|
|RLBUHT/ UoL Honorary||ISDR RCT PI lead||Health Economics||ISDR RCT patients with late STDR diagnosis|
|Royal Liverpool & Broadgreen University Hospital Trust (RLBUHT)||LDESP clinical lead||Ophthalmic Imaging||China DR screening project|
The list below contains interesting and useful scripts and code samples that I developed as part of the ISDR study:
- python code to read csv into dictionary
- python script to translate between different identifiers
- python script to detect csv column inconsistency
- AWK script for data extraction from large csv files
- python script to extract key value pairs from csv file
- python script to find the intersection of files using multiple parameters
- Fast filtering of large csv files using python
- Python script to transfer selected files large directories
The list below contains projects that I was involved with as part the of ISDR study:
The publications produced from this work are listed below (full list of publications).
- Garcia-Finana, M., et al. “Personalized Risk-Based Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy: a Multivariate Approach vs. the Use of Stratification Rules.” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, Wiley-Blackwell, 2018, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/dom.13552.
- Garcia-Finana, Marta, et al. “A Novel Multivariate Discriminant Approach to Predict Sight Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy (STDR) Cases – Data from the Liverpool Diabetic Eye Study.” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 58, no. 8, 2017, pp. 4288–88, http://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2641391.
- Harding, Simon P., et al. “Detecting Sight Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy in the 21st Century – Lessons from 20 Years of Screening in Liverpool.” Macula Society Annual Meeting 2017, Singapore, 07 -10 Jun 2017, 2017, (slides) [PDF] [ref].
- Garcia., Simon Harding. Christopher Sampson. Christopher Cheyne. Deborah Broadbent. Amu Wang. Mehrdad Mobayen-Rahni. Ayesh Alshukri. Anthony Fisher. Jiten Vora. Marta. 10 Year Observational Study of Patient Related Outcomes during Expansion to Full Population Coverage of a Systematic Diabetes Eyecare Programme - the Liverpool Diabetic Eye Study. The association of research in vision and ophthalmology annual conference, Seattle, USA. 01 May 2016 - 05 May 2016. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), 2016, (slides) [PDF] [ref].
- Harding., Amu Wang. Ayesh Alshukri. Mehrdad Mobayen-Rahni. Anthony Fisher. Deborah Broadbent. Duncan Appelbe. Simon. Building a Dynamic Functional Clinical Data Warehouse (CDW) for Personalised Health Care - Lessons from the Individualised Screening for Diabetic Retinopathy (ISDR) Study. 26th Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes eye complications Study Group, Manchester, 23 Jun 2016 - 25 Jun 2016. European Journal of Ophthalmology, 2016, (slides) [PDF] [ref].