I was recently asked about what would be involved in hiring a senior software developer. In a first step to providing some help on this topic, I have put together a list of skills and experience from my own working practice and job description. I think the skill listed are transferable and apply to senior developers working in any field.
I work in the areas of clinical trials and healthcare, as a results there are many further aspects that are extremely important for this setting which I have left out the list below.
I have also left out any specific reference to programming language or a specific technologies.
- Develop innovative solutions to complex problems
- Lead software development lifecycle, from requirements analysis, design and implementation, through to testing and maintenance.
- Think pro-actively and exercise considerable initiative
- Strong understanding of server administration principles and information governance
- Provide a considerable level of technical expertise to lead
- Define and shape the software development roadmap
- Responsible for the oversight, management, maintenance and security of servers and data.
- Beware of latest cyber-threats and new system and software updates
- Ensuring software updates are promptly installed on servers and personal computers
- Keep up to date with the regulations and requirements
- Write and implement Standard Operating Procedures for the IT components
- Update and implement rigorous validation of all systems and databases
- Ensure that documentation is compliant with applicable regulations
Specific Technologies and Technical experience:
- Full stack developer
- Software architecture and design techniques
- Administering Database Management Systems